It’s so easy to make your own Instant Pot plant based cranberry sauce. And the best part is that you can tweak this recipe to make it just the way you like it. Use different spices, citrus, or even choose your favorite sweetener!
Vegans Eat Cranberry Sauce Too
It’s easy to think that cranberry sauce is just for turkey, but it goes great on vegan holiday dishes. It’s naturally vegan with a sweet and tart flavor that adds a zing. I put mine on vegan stuffing.
My version is plant based cranberry sauce that you make in your Instant Pot. I use maple syrup to take the tart edge off my recipe, but you could use date syrup or paste, or even applesauce if you prefer.
Can Cranberry Sauce Be Made Ahead of Time?
Another great thing about cranberry sauce is that you can make a few days ahead of time and serve it chilled from the fridge. Of course, you can warm your up if you prefer that.
In my family we ate the canned kind straight from the fridge, so I love the coolness of the cranberry sauce on warm stuffing.
What Is Orange Zest?
It’s a weird term for the outside skin of citrus fruit. It’s the colorful part where all the essential oils are that create a strong and fragrant flavor.
Make sure you wash the outside of the fruit and dry it before you zest it. Then use a small hand grater, like this OXO one I use.
Watch for the white part while you’re grating. You want to stop as soon as you see it and move to another area of the fruit. The white pith is bitter so you want to avoid it.
Can Cranberry Sauce be Frozen?
The great news is that you can freeze cranberry sauce. No need to waste those leftovers and you can use it on a sandwich, serve with a vegan cheese plate, or even spread it on your breakfast toast.
Pressure Cooker Ingredients
- 3 cups cranberries , fresh
- 2 cups minced peeled apple
- 1/2 cup orange juice ,about 2 medium oranges
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange zest about 2 medium oranges
- 10 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt , optional
- 2 tablespoons apple brandy , optional
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup , sweetener of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Add all the pressure cooker ingredients to your Instant Pot. Put on the lid and set the vent to sealed. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally, which means wait until the pressure value drops on its own.
- Once the pressure releases, you will be able to remove the lid and set aside. Press the cancel button to turn off the Instant Pot, then press the saute button and the adjust button until it sets to "less".
- Add in the saute ingredients. Mix well with a large spoon and mash the fruit pieces as you go.
- Please note, you can use any sweetener of your choice, just add a little at a time and taste as you go.
- Cook until it's at the thickness you desire, then turn off and remove the cardamom pods and cinnamon sticks. Store in the fridge.
More Recipes to Try
- Gluten-free Vegan Teff Stuffing with Roasted Butternut Squash and Candied Cranberries
- Vegan Instant Pot Bouillon with No Added Salt or Oil
- Fall Spice Infused Maple Syrup