Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Curry and Pilaf is a whole Indian meal made at the same time. The creamy mushroom and veggie mild curry is served over some subtly spiced basmati rice. It’s a great weeknight meal!
In this post, I’m sharing a recipe from Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot, for one of my favorite quick and easy meals – Vegan Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Curry and Pilaf.
I love so many things about my Instant Pot, but cooking more than one thing at a time is one of my favorites. This recipe is great to start with since you can use a Pyrex or oven-safe ceramic dish you already have on top of the rack that came with your Instant Pot.
What Is the Pot in Pot Method?
You may have cooked multiple recipes at once in your Instant Pot. All you do is use separate smaller pot(s) in your Instant Pot liner.
One way is to put one or more pans on top of the rack that came with your IP. I like to use my favorite OXO bakeware sling instead of the metal rack. It also makes getting other pots out of your Instant Pot liner easier.
Be sure that any pans you buy are for the size electric pressure cooker you have.
Using the Pot in Pot Method for Mushroom Curry and Pilaf
Anytime you use the pressure cooker function you need water at the bottom to bring the pot up to pressure. So in this recipe, we’re going to cook the pilaf right in the liner, or the stainless steel pot.
In the bottom, we cook the brown rice pilaf, and on top of that, in an oven-safe dish, we cook the curry. The rice takes longer to cook, but putting the curry in a pot, slows the cooking so they are both done at the same time.
More Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot Online Class: Pot in Pot Cooking
- Instant Pot Chai Tea Concentrate
- Instant Pot Tempeh Breakfast Bowl – Pot in Pot Method
- Fresh Summer Instant Pot Vegetable Dinner – Pot in Pot Method
Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Curry and Pilaf
For the Brown Basmati Rice Pilaf
- 1 cup 185 g brown basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups 355 ml water
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Creamy Mushroom Curry
- 1 1/2 cups 108 g sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup 128 g cubed Idaho Potatoes cauliflower florets, carrots, sweet potato or combination
- 1/2 cup 120 ml unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup 61 g unsweetened plain vegan yogurt or cashew cream
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- For the rice pilaf, combine the rice, water, cardamom pod, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, turmeric and salt in your Instant Pot insert.
- For the mushroom curry, get a Pyrex dish that fits into your Instant Pot, then mix the mushrooms, potatoes, milk, yogurt, ginger, garlic, salt, garam masala, turmeric, coriander and chili powder in it. Cover with foil.
- Note: If your pan does not fit inside the rack handles, you will need to fashion some handles out of aluminum foil to lower the pan into the cooker. Tear off two pieces of foil about 3 feet (1 m) long, fold each one lengthwise two times. Lay the foil handles out on the counter in a plus sign near your cooker. Place your pan in the center, where the two pieces cross. Pull the handles up and carefully lift the pan and set it and the foil handles into your Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 27 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure indicator goes down, remove the lid, lift out the pan using the foil handles and remove the foil that’s covering the pan.
- Remove and discard the cardamom pod and cinnamon stick from the rice.