Have you used your Electric Pressure Cooker’s steam function? You’re going to love making your own steamed vegetable dumplings at home in your Instant Pot!
How to Cook Dumplings in Your Instant Pot
I used an 8-inch 2 layered bamboo steamer to cook my steamed vegetable dumplings in. You will still add water to your Instant Pot, then the rack and place the bamboo steamer on top of that. You will probably need to leave off the lid and that’s fine – you don’t really need it.
Another way one tester steamed these little dumplings was with two Instant Pot racks. You can get a cheap extra rack on Amazon or at an Asian market. She put 10 dumplings on a parchment-covered Instant Pot rack, flipped the other Instant Pot rack upside down, covered it with parchment and placed another 10 dumplings on it.
Steaming In Your Instant Pot
Many times you may opt to use your manual/pressure cooker setting to cook. In fact, that will be your most used setting. One thing that the pressure cooking function and steam function have in common you have to have water in the pot when you use that setting.
The bottom of the pan gets heated on high when you use steam, so in addition to having water in the bottom you probably want to place the item being steamed on the Instant Pot rack or in a silicone vegetable steamer.
Vegan Dumpling Facts
- You can buy pre-made vegan dumpling wrappers. Try your local Asian market and look for vegan ones at Walmart of all places! Always read the labels just in case a recipe changes.
- Can’t find any vegan wrappers? You can make your own with Cilantro and Citronella’s recipe here.
- Gluten-free? Try Feasting on Fruit’s gluten-free dumpling wrapper recipe and see her video here.
- Make a double or triple batch. Freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet. After they are solid put them in a resealable freezer bag. Just grab a few when you’re in the mood for a treat.
Plant Based Dumpling Filling Ideas
- Of course, the easy mushroom, carrot, cabbage recipe below is the easiest way to start !
- Mash some pressed tofu with some bbq sauce. Whole Foods used to have a frozen version that’s no more.
- Take that little bit of leftover stir fry, pulse in the food processor or chop finely.
- Finely chop some seitan and mix with your favorite teriyaki sauce.
- Be sure to share your favorite filling in the comments!
Vegan Instant Pot Steamed Vegetable Dumplings
- 1 cup minced shiitake mushrooms or substitute white mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups minced cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil optional
- 12 round vegan dumpling wrappers
For the sauté, use the sauté setting over normal, or do the sauté in a pan on the stove over medium heat. Heat a nonstick pan and add the mushrooms once hot.
- Sauté until the mushrooms release their juices, then add the cabbage, carrot, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar and sauté until the mixture is dry.
- Remove the liner from the Instant Pot and set on the stove or a pot holder. Mix in the ginger and sesame oil (if using).
- Cut out a round piece of parchment paper to fit inside a 6- or 8-inch (15-or 20-cm) bamboo steamer. You will be able to fit all 12 dumplings in one level of the 8-inch (20-cm) one. No bamboo steamer? Just use your vegetable steamer lightly coated with oil inside your Instant Pot instead.
- Get a small bowl of water and set it up next to a cutting board to work on.
- Place a wrapper on the cutting board and spread water around the edge with your fingertip. Add 1 tablespoon (15 g) filling to the middle of the wrapper and fold in half, matching the edges. Press together. You can stop here or you can grab it by the middle of the sealed part and fold the dough in two places on either side. Then place in the steamer with the pleated side up.
- Put the top on your bamboo steamer (if using) and add 1½ cups (355 ml) water and your rack to your Instant Pot. Then lower the steamer into the pot.
- Put the lid on and make sure that the steam release handle is sealed. Select the steam setting and lower the time to 7 minutes.
- Open the steam release valve manually
If you are using an 8-inch (20-cm) bamboo steamer you can fill up both layers and make a double batch of dumplings. Your lid may not fit, but it’s okay to leave it off.
Easy Dumpling Dipping Sauce
Start with 1 part soy sauce, coconut aminos, or Bragg’s aminos. Then add 1 part rice vinegar and grated ginger. Mix and taste. Adjust soy sauce and/or vinegar till it’s just the way you like it. You can also add a dollap of sriracha or chili garlic sauce. to make it a little spicy.
My Favorite Instant Pot Steamer Baskets
- 7 inch Bamboo steamer (perfect for a 6 quart Instant Pot)
- A deeper metal steamer with handles is an easy way to remove hot veggies
- A deeper metal steamer is great to steam tamales or vegetables in
More Recipes to Try
- Quick and Easy Vegan Broccoli with Spicy Garlic Sauce Recipe
- Plant Based Instant Pot White Beans with Tomatillos
- Which Instant Pot Is Right For Me?