Have you used your Electric Pressure Cooker’s steam function? You’re going to love making your own Vegan Instant Pot Vegetable Dumplings at home!
How to Cook Steamed Vegetable Dumplings in Your Instant Pot
I used an 8-inch 2 layered bamboo steamer to cook my Instant Pot Vegetable Dumplings in. You will still add water to your Instant Pot, then the rack and place the bamboo steamer on top of that.
You will probably need to leave off the lid and that’s fine – you don’t really need it.
How to Steam Dumplings in an Instant Pot
Another way one tester steamed these little dumplings was with two Instant Pot racks. You can get a cheap extra rack on Amazon or at an Asian market.
She put 10 dumplings on a parchment-covered Instant Pot rack, flipped the other Instant Pot rack upside down, covered it with parchment and placed another 10 dumplings on it.
Steaming In Your Instant Pot
Many times you may opt to use your manual or pressure cooker setting to cook. In fact, that will be your most used setting.
One thing that the pressure cooking function and steam function have in common you have to have water in the pot when you use that setting.
The bottom of the pan is where the heat comes from on high when you use steam, so in addition to having water in the bottom place the item to be steamed on the Instant Pot rack or in a silicone vegetable steamer.
Can You Use a Bamboo Steamer in Your Electric Pressure Cooker?
You will place the bamboo steamers on top of the rack that came with your electric pressure cooker. If the rack handles makes the space too narrow, turn it over and place the steamer on it.
You can get round perforated parchment paper that fits in a regular or bamboo steamer. It lets the steam through but keeps the Instant Pot Vegetable Dumplings from sticking and breaking open.
Vegan Instant Pot Vegetable Dumplings Facts
- You can buy pre-made vegan dumpling wrappers. Try your local Asian market and look for vegan ones at Walmart of all places! Always read the labels just in case a recipe changes.
- Can’t find any vegan wrappers? You can make your own with Cilantro and Citronella’s recipe here.
- Gluten-free? Try Feasting on Fruit’s gluten-free dumpling wrapper recipe and see her video here.
- Make a double or triple batch. Freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- After they are solid put them in a resealable freezer bag. Just grab a few when you’re in the mood for a treat.
Can You Steam Frozen Dumplings In the Electric Pressure Cooker?
Great question! I get this one a ton. You can cook frozen vegetarian dumplings in your Instant Pot. I usually use a bamboo steamer lined with perforated parchment paper. I cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
Filling Ideas for Vegan Instant Pot Vegetable Dumplings
- Of course, the easy mushroom, carrot, cabbage recipe below is the easiest way to start !
- Mash some pressed tofu with some bbq sauce. Whole Foods used to have a frozen version that’s no more.
- Take that little bit of leftover stir fry, pulse in the food processor or chop finely.
- Finely chop some seitan or tempeh and mix with your favorite teriyaki sauce.
- Be sure to share your favorite filling in the comments!