This Instant Pot Tempeh Breakfast Bowl gives you a hearty breakfast or brunch that has 3 unique components.
The tempeh is sweet and spicy, the potatoes are slightly smoky, and it gets topped off with some cheesy kale. A complete meal cooked all at the same time!
Use Your Instant Pot for Breakfast!
It’s easy to overlook the most important meal of the day, but your Instant Pot can help you save the day!
Try setting the delay timer so they’re cooked exactly when you want them in the morning.
The Instant Pot tempeh is sweet and spicy, the potatoes are slightly smoky, and it gets topped off with some cheesy kale.
WHAT IS THE POT IN POT METHOD?
You may have cooked in a separate pot inside your Instant Pot liner already. You can put one pan on top of the rack that came with your IP and cook in it.
Be sure that the pan you want to use will fit before you start . They make stackable stainless steel pans that come with their own racks. Be sure to order the one that fits your size of electric pressure cooker.
These Lotus Stackable Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker Steamer Insert Pans are made to fit a 3-quart Instant Pot. While these pans are made to fit a 6-quart electric pressure cooker.
Be sure to check out another of my pot in pot recipes, Fresh Summer Instant Pot Vegetable Dinner for a vegetable plate that’s quick and easy.
Also try Jill’s Cashew Lemon Cheezecake from her book, Vegan Under Pressure, my Pear and Cranberry Instant Pot Cake or the Instant Pot Carrot Cake Sweetened with Dates right on this site to try out baking in your IP.
Sign up now to learn step by step recipes and cook along with me!
Instant Pot Tempeh Breakfast Bowl Recipe Variations
Use a tofu scramble in place of the tempeh. Mash a package of firm tofu with turmeric, kala namak, some minced veggies like onion, garlic, bell peppers, and cook it in the tempeh layer. You can add in a spice blend like chili powder, Italian seasoning blend, or even some Garam Masala.
Use a mixture of root veggies in place of the potatoes and feel free to vary the greens from kale.
Instant Pot Tempeh, Potato and Kale Bowl – Pot in Pot Method
- 1 28 oz bag new or baby Potatoes cut into quarters
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce, to taste
- 1 8 oz package tempeh cut into small cubes or use hemp tofu to make soy-free
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the potato layer
- Add 1½ cups (355 ml) water to your Instant Pot, add a vegetable steamer and spread out the potatoes.
For the tempeh layer
- Add all the tempeh ingredients to a short Pyrex pan and toss to coat. Cover with foil and place on the potatoes.
For the kale layer
- Mix the kale, nutritional yeast, water and garlic together in a mixing bowl, transfer to a short Pyrex pan, cover with foil and place on top of the dish containing the tempeh. If you like your tempeh less cooked, wrap in foil, then put in the Pyrex.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure indicator goes down, remove the lid and carefully lift out the pans.
For the potato seasoning
- Toss the potatoes in a large bowl with the paprika, then add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a bowl in layers or on a plate. Either way, it’s a meal that can’t be beat!