This Instant Pot Tempeh Breakfast Bowl gives you a hearty breakfast or brunch that has 3 unique components. The tempeh is sweet and spicy, the potatoes are slightly smoky, and it gets topped off with some cheesy kale. A complete meal cooked all at the same time!
Use Your Instant Pot for Breakfast!
It’s easy to overlook the most important meal of the day, but your Instant Pot can help you save the day! It works great for steel-cut oats like my Pumpkin Coffeecake Oats, or making plain steel-cut oats and setting the delay timer so they’re cooked exactly when you want them in the morning.
This Instant Pot Tempeh Breakfast Bowl goes a different direction and gives you a hearty breakfast or brunch that has 3 unique components. The tempeh is sweet and spicy, the potatoes are slightly smoky, and it gets topped off with some cheesy kale.
WHAT IS THE POT IN POT METHOD?
You may have cooked in a separate pot inside your Instant Pot liner already. You can put one pan on top of the rack that came with your IP and cook in it. Be sure that the pan will fit and below I have links to some that fit in a 6-quart Instant Pot.
Be sure to check out my Fresh Summer Instant Pot Vegetable Dinner for a vegetable plate that’s quick and easy. It cooks using the pot in pot method too.
Also try Jill’s Cashew Lemon Cheezecake from her book, Vegan Under Pressure, my Pear and Cranberry Instant Pot Cake or the Instant Pot Carrot Cake Sweetened with Dates right on this site to try out baking in your IP.
Sign up now to learn step by step recipes and cook along with me!
- 1 28-oz bag new or baby Potatoes , cut into quarters
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce, to taste
- 1 8-oz package tempeh , cut into small cubes (or *use hemp tofu to make soy-free)
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the potato layer
- Add 1½ cups (355 ml) water to your Instant Pot, add a vegetable steamer and spread out the potatoes.
For the tempeh layer
- Add all the tempeh ingredients to a short Pyrex pan and toss to coat. Cover with foil and place on the potatoes.
For the kale layer
- Mix the kale, nutritional yeast, water and garlic together in a mixing bowl, transfer to a short Pyrex pan, cover with foil and place on top of the dish containing the tempeh. If you like your tempeh less cooked, wrap in foil, then put in the Pyrex.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure indicator goes down, remove the lid and carefully lift out the pans.
For the potato seasoning
- Toss the potatoes in a large bowl with the paprika, then add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a bowl in layers or on a plate. Either way, it’s a meal that can’t be beat!
Use a tofu scramble in place of the tempeh. Mash a package of firm tofu with turmeric, kala namak, some minced veggies like onion, garlic, bell peppers, and cook it in the tempeh layer. You can add in a spice blend like chili powder, Italian seasoning blend, or even some Garam Masala.
Use a mixture of root veggies in place of the potatoes and feel free to vary the greens from kale.
More Recipes to Try
- Fresh Summer Instant Pot Vegetable Dinner – Pot in Pot Method
- Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa with Black Bean and Veggies
- Kathy’s Famous Spicy Instant Pot Cauliflower Queso