Quinoa is a perfect bowl base. I served this Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans topped with Orange Lime Chile Jackfruit, and garnished with avocado, lettuce, and tomatoes. Of course it’s fantastic in tacos for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
How Much Protein Does Quinoa Have?
Quinoa is an official “superfood” and it’s naturally gluten-free and full of protein. Just 1 cup of quinoa has 8g of protein, 5g of fiber, and just over 200 calories.
Is Quinoa a Grain?
Even though we use quinoa the same way we use other grains, it’s actually a seed. That’s why it’s so important to rinse quinoa to scrub off the bitter coating that surround the seed.
I Heart Keenwah is my favorite brand of quinoa. It’s already washed and toasted. That means it’s ready to go once you open the bag!
How Do I Cook Quinoa in My Electric Pressure Cooker?
It’s so easy to cook quinoa in your Instant Pot. I use 1 1/4 cup water for every cup of quinoa. Then cook on high pressure using the manual or pressure cook setting for 10 minutes. Carefully do a manual or quick release and store any leftovers in the fridge.
I like to cook up a couple of cups on Sunday and use it for quick meals all week long.
Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans and Veggies
This Quinoa Black Bean mix with zucchini and carrot is a natural fit for a taco or the base of a dinner bowl.
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup corn kernals
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano , or use marjoram
- 1 cup quinoa , rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- salt, to taste optional
Add the zucchini, carrots, and corn kernels to your Instant Pot liner.
Saute until most of the liquid is out of the shredded zucchini, then add the chili powder, cumin, and chile powder.
Saute for another minute until the spices become fragrant.
Turn the Instant Pot off, then add the Mexican oregano, black beans, I Heart Keenwah Toasted Quinoa, water or broth.
Press the manual or pressure cook button and set it to cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
Use a quick or manual release.
- Substitute pinto or kidney beans for the black beans
- Add in some cauliflower rice with the other veggies
- For fall or winter leave out the zucchini and replace with shredded sweet potato
More Recipes to Try
- Kathy’s Famous Spicy Instant Pot Cauliflower Queso
- Plant Based Instant Pot White Beans with Tomatillos and Poblanos
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Cabbage