Quinoa is a perfect bowl base. I served this Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans topped with Orange Lime Chile Jackfruit, and garnished with avocado, lettuce, and tomatoes. Of course it’s fantastic in tacos for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
How Much Protein Does Quinoa Have?
Quinoa is an official “superfood” and it’s naturally gluten-free and full of protein. Just 1 cup of quinoa has 8g of protein, 5g of fiber, and just over 200 calories.
Is Quinoa a Grain?
Even though we use quinoa the same way we use other grains, it’s actually a seed. That’s why it’s so important to rinse quinoa to scrub off the bitter coating that surround the seed.
I Heart Keenwah is my favorite brand of quinoa. It’s already washed and toasted. That means it’s ready to go once you open the bag!
How Do I Cook Quinoa in My Electric Pressure Cooker?
It’s so easy to cook quinoa in your Instant Pot. I use 1 1/4 cup water for every cup of quinoa. Then cook on high pressure using the manual or pressure cook setting for 10 minutes. Carefully do a manual or quick release and store any leftovers in the fridge.
I like to cook up a couple of cups on Sunday and use it for quick meals all week long.
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup corn kernals
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano , or use marjoram
- 1 cup quinoa , rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
- salt, to taste optional
- Add the zucchini, carrots, and corn kernels to your Instant Pot liner.
- Saute until most of the liquid is out of the shredded zucchini, then add the chili powder, cumin, and chile powder.
- Saute for another minute until the spices become fragrant.
- Turn the Instant Pot off, then add the Mexican oregano, black beans, I Heart Keenwah Toasted Quinoa, water or broth.
- Press the manual or pressure cook button and set it to cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Use a quick or manual release.
- Substitute pinto or kidney beans for the black beans
- Add in some cauliflower rice with the other veggies
- For fall or winter leave out the zucchini and replace with shredded sweet potato
More Recipes to Try
- Kathy’s Famous Spicy Instant Pot Cauliflower Queso
- Plant Based Instant Pot White Beans with Tomatillos and Poblanos
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Cabbage