Quinoa is a perfect bowl base. I served this Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans topped with Orange Lime Chile Jackfruit, and garnished with avocado, lettuce, and tomatoes.
Of course it’s fantastic in tacos for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
How Much Protein Does Quinoa Have?
Quinoa is an official “superfood” and it’s naturally gluten-free and full of protein. Just 1 cup of quinoa has 8g of protein, 5g of fiber, and just over 200 calories.
Is Quinoa a Grain?
Even though we use quinoa the same way we use other grains, it’s actually a seed. That’s why it’s so important to rinse quinoa to scrub off the bitter coating that surround the seed.
I Heart Keenwah is my favorite brand of quinoa. It’s already washed and toasted. That means it’s ready to go once you open the bag!
But really it’s a best practice to always wash your quinoa unless it says that it’s been washed on the package.
How Do I Cook Quinoa in My Electric Pressure Cooker?
It’s so easy to cook quinoa in your Instant Pot. I use 1 1/4 cup water for every cup of quinoa. Then cook on high pressure using the manual or pressure cook setting for 6 minutes.
Carefully do a manual or quick-release and store any leftovers in the fridge.
I like to cook up a couple of cups on Sunday and use it for quick meals all week long.
Bean & Veggie Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa Recipe Variations
- Substitute pinto or kidney beans for the black beans
- Add in some cauliflower rice with the other veggies
- For fall or winter leave out the zucchini and replace with shredded sweet potato
What Should I Serve this With?
I think you should make a batch of Instant Pot Cauliflower Queso to snack on with your guests while you make this quinoa.
Instant Pot Vegan Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit is a great option to complete this meal. I like to eat the leftover quinoa straight from the fridge!
This would also be great with Plant Based Instant Pot White Beans with Tomatillos and Poblanos. Also, you could make a batch of burritos for the freezer with the leftovers.
Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans and Veggies
- Add the zucchini, carrots, and corn kernels to your Instant Pot liner.
- Saute until most of the liquid is out of the shredded zucchini, then add the chili powder, cumin, and chile powder.
- Saute for another minute until the spices become fragrant.
- Turn the Instant Pot off, then add the Mexican oregano, black beans, I Heart Keenwah Toasted Quinoa, water or broth.
- Press the manual or pressure cook button and set it to cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Use a quick or manual release.