I love eating potato salad straight from the fridge on super hot days. Don’t make the mistake of heating your house up when cooking it. My Plant Based Instant Pot Potato Salad keeps your house cool while it’s cooking and it cools you down while you eat it. Plus my potato salad version has tons of veggies and no oil!
Can You Really Make Potato Salad without Oil?
You can make almost anything without oil and this Plant Based Instant Pot Potato Salad is proof of that.
This is not a mayo based potato salad, so we’re not making a creamy dressing based in cashews or silken tofu. But you could make an no oil added version using a cashew cream or a lemon silken tofu blend.
We’re making a vinegar based dressing, flavored with Dijon mustard, fresh thyme, and garlic. Aquafaba will thicken it up once it’s whisked in. Yum!
More WFBP Recipes to Try
Looking for other main electric pressure cooker recipes? Try my Plant Based Instant Pot White Beans with Tomatillos and Poblanos or the ultimate summer vegetable plate that you cook in one pot!
Do I Need a Steamer Basket to Make Instant Pot Potato Salad?
I love my steamer baskets, but honestly you don’t need one to make this dish. You can layer the cut potatoes on the bottom of your Instant Pot with water and layer other veggies that you’re cooking over that.
In case you’re looking for cooking inserts for your electric pressure cooker, check these out:
- My favorite 3 quart IP metal steamer basket
- 3 quart IP Stainless Steel Stackables
- My favorite 6 quart silicone steamer basket
- 6 quart IP Steel Stackables
How Can I Give an Eggy Flavor to Vegan Potato Salad without Hard Boiled Egg?
Kala namak, also known as pink salt, is used a lot in Indian cuisine, especially in chaats. It’s a salt that’s high in sulfur and really tastes like eggs.
You can also use it in tofu salad, tofu or chickpea scramble, or anywhere else you’d like to add a touch of egg flavor.
What Kind of Potatoes Are Best for Potato Salad?
Waxy potatoes like yellow fin and red potatoes are a match for potato salad because they stay so solid after cooking.
With that said, in a pinch any potato is delicious in potato salad. Just make sure to cook fluffy potatoes like russets a little less so they won’t break apart as easily.
Fun Extras to Add Into Your Plant Based Potato Salad
- toasted sunflower seeds
- shredded carrot (raw or cooked)
- minced celery
- moist sun dried tomatoes
- cooked chickpeas
Plant Based Instant Pot Potato Salad
Instant Pot Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups quartered baby potatoes
- 2 cups trimmed green beans cut in half
- 1/2 cup aquafaba
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional, or to taste
Uncooked Salad Veggies
- 1/4 cup sliced kalmata olives or use Nicoise olives, optional
- 1 cup diced ripe tomatoes or quartered cherry tomatoes
- butter lettuce , for serving
For the Pressure Cooker
- Add the water to the Instant Pot liner. Put the potatoes and green beans in a steamer that fits inside your electric pressure cooker and lower into the liner.
- Cook on high for 4 minutes. Release the pressure naturally.
- Carefully remove the steamers and run cold water over the potatoes until they are cool.
For the Dressing
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a bowl, blender, or food processor. If you’re using a bowl whisk until foamy and thick, or blend or process until it thickens.
Assemble the Salad
- Add the cooled potatoes and green beans to a large bowl. Add 1/2 of the salad dressing and gently mix.
- Add the tomatoes and olives, if using. Add in more dressing as needed.
- Serve over lettuce.