This Slow Cooker Jackfruit Tom Kha Gai Recipe is a vegan version of a traditional Thai chicken soup. It’s in a rich broth of coconut milk, mushrooms, and a few things you need to pick up at the Asian market. I made mine mild, but you can add a little chili oil to spice yours up a bit.
Why Use Jackfruit in a Tom Kha Gai Recipe?
Jackfruit is the perfect substitute for recipes that call for shredded chicken. It gives the same look and mouthfeel.
If you aren’t a fan of jackfruit you could use cubes of firm tofu, or just add extra mushrooms.
Can You Slow Cook In Your Instant Pot?
You may already know that there’s a slow cooker function button on your Instant Pot. So, of course, you can slow cook in it. However, some things are better left to the manual/pressure cooker setting.
The slow cooker recipes that will work the best in the Instant Pot will be soups and stews. Avoid dried beans and baking
This Slow Cooker Jackfruit Tom Kha Gai Recipe was created for the revised edition of The Vegan Slow Cooker, so it was created to cook slowly all day long. It’s a perfect way to try out your Instant Pot slow cooker setting.
What If I Want to Eat my Jackfruit Tom Kha Gai Recipe Sooner Than 8 hours?
Since you have an Instant Pot you can cook the main ingredients on high pressure for 15 minutes. Release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release the rest of the pressure. Add in the before serving ingredients.
Is Galangal same as Ginger?
It is not, but in a pinch you could use ginger to replace the galangal. Galangal is also know as Thai ginger or Siamese ginger because it looks like ginger.
You can’t grate galangal but you can slice it and you don’t need to peel it before cooking.
What does Galangal Taste Like?
Galangal has a stronger flavor than ginger with earthy tones and hints of citrus.
How Do You Store Galangal?
Wrap it up in plastic and store in the fridge for up to a week. You can also slice it and freeze the slices, you don’t need to thaw to use it.
Can I Freeze Lemon Grass? Galangal? Lime Leaves?
You can freeze all of those. In fact the Asian market usually has some in the vegetable section and then again in the freezer section.
How do you peel and mince lemongrass?
More Recipes to Try
- Mushroom Congee Recipe
- Instant Pot Vegan Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit
- Jackfruit FAQs and Instant Pot Jackfruit Recipes
Slow Cooker Jackfruit Tom Kha Gai Recipe
- 1 can jackfruit drained and shredded by hand
- 2 cups chopped shiitake or button mushrooms
- 3 3-inch pieces of fresh lemongrass
- 1 2-inch piece galangal root, cut into slices
- 6 Thai lime leaves sometimes called kaffir lime leaves
- 3 cups 705 ml water
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate *use gluten-free soy sauce or **coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon brown or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Before Serving Ingredients
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk you can use light, but it won’t be as rich
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- The Night Before: Shred the jackfruit. Cut the mushrooms, lemongrass, and galangal. Store in the fridge overnight.
- in the morning: Add the shredded jackfruit, mushrooms, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, water, tamarind, sugar, and soy sauce to your slow cooker. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- 20 minutes before serving: Stir in the coconut milk and nutritional yeast. Add lime and salt to taste, and add garnishes (if using).
On my list to try
I can’t wait to make this soup!!!