Dirty rice is usually not vegan, but my Vegan Instant Pot Mushroom Dirty Rice uses mushrooms in place of the meat. They add umami and meld well with the vegetables. It’s a great side dish with your favorite beans!
What is Dirty Rice?
Dirty rice is a traditional Creole dish. It usually has chopped meat in it which makes the rice look “dirty” and that’s where the name comes from.
In my recipe we replace the meat with chopped mushrooms. Dirty rice always has spices and some minced veggies too.
What Goes Great with Dirty Rice?
You could grill or air fry some tofu, tempeh, or sweet potato slices after you dip into some Cajun seasoning blend. Or use the method I use to batter cauliflower and bake it to a golden crisp for my cauliflower po boys.
If you have two Instant Pots you can make some IP Heirloom Beans to eat with your dirty rice. Really, any beans are a good fit.
Vegan Instant Pot Mushroom Dirty Rice
- 1/4 cup water , for water sauting
- 1 cup minced red onion
- 1 - 8 ounce package mushrooms, minced
- 1/2 cup minced bell pepper
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth
- salt to taste, optional
Add the water to your Instant Pot and turn on the saute function. Once hot add the onions and saute until translucent.
Add in the mushrooms, bell pepper, shredded carrots, garlic and cook until soft.
- Add in the rice and Cajun seasoning and saute for a minute or two until the spices become fragrant.
Cut the Instant Pot off so you can switch cooking modes.
Add in the broth, put the lid on and turn vent to sealing. Cook on Manual or Pressure Cook depending on your IP model.
Cook for 23 minutes then let it release naturally for 10 minutes. Then you can manually release the rest of the pressure.
- Fluff the rice and salt to taste.
More Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot Vegan Tomato Soup Made Creamy with a Surprise Ingredient!
- Kathy’s Famous Spicy Instant Pot Cauliflower Queso
- Instant Pot Caballero Bean and Soy Curl Chili