This Vegan Instant Pot Teff Vegetable Soup is gluten-free, soy-free, and has no oil added. It gets protein from teff, the world’s smallest grain! Another bonus is you probably have everything in your pantry and freezer right now.
Instant Pot Vegetable Soup for the Win!
I love cooking in my electric pressure cooker all year, but there’s something awesome about a big bowl of brothy vegetables. Add in some teff and it’s even hardier.
Everyone loves vegan vegetable soup, and you can even freeze the leftovers for last-minute meals.
What is Teff?
Teff is a tiny grain that’s about the size of a poppy seed. It’s naturally gluten-free and comes in red, white, or brown colors so you can coordinate them to your dish.
If you’ve eaten Ethiopian food, you had the sourdough flatbread called injera. That bread is made from teff flour, but we’re using the whole grain in this recipe.
Teff is a great source of fiber including resistant starch which is said to help manage blood sugar.
Can I Eat Teff Raw?
You need to cook whole grain teff before you eat it. It cooks quickly, so it doesn’t take much time.
More Vegan Teff Recipes
What Can I Substitute for Teff?
More Vegan Soup Recipes to Try
- Vegan Instant Pot Bouillon w/out Salt or Oil – perfect in every soup plus it’s inexpensive and easy to make!
- Instant Pot Vegan Tortilla Soup with Jackfruit
- Instant Pot Chickpea Vegan Greek Salad
- Vegan Instant Pot Lentil Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Vegan Tomato Soup
Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Teff
- 1/4 cup water for saute
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Teff
FIRST COOK INGREDIENTS
SECOND COOK INGREDIENTS
- 12 ounce frozen mixed vegetables (carrot, corn, peas, and green beans)
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 15.5 ounce can chickpeas drained (save liquid for baking – it’s aquafaba!)
- Use the sauté setting over normal, or medium heat, and heat the oil or water. Saute the onions until they become transparent. Then add the garlic and sauté a minute more. Add the teff and toast for about a minute.
- Add the water or broth, diced tomatoes, tomato puree, and Italian herbs to your Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes and carefully release the pressure manually.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables, cabbage, and chickpeas to the teff mixture. Cook on high pressure for 1 minute and let the pressure release naturally.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast, oregano, salt, and pepper, then serve.