I use a lentil blend that’s often called autumn blend for my Vegan Instant Pot Lentil Vegetable Soup. The yellow split peas and red lentils in the blend “melt” into the soup making it extra thick. You can make it using all plain brown lentils, it just won’t be as creamy.
Instant Pots Make Great Soup!
If you’re new to Instant Pots, soup is a great place to start. There’s already extra liquid involved and that gives you a lot of wiggle room for a great first cooking experience.
What is an Instant Pot?
It’s a brand of multi-cooker. It can pressure cook, slow cook, saute, cook rice, porridge and make homemade vegan yogurt too. I love mine and use it for cooking staples like beans, rice and oatmeal. It’s great for soups and stews too and I keep stretching the boundaries as I experiment.
I got my first one about a year ago. Any newfangled slow cooker is a shiny object that I want. I had been thinking about giving pressure cooking a go and this seemed like an easy way to try it out.
Vegan Instant Pot Lentil Vegetable Soup
FOR THE SAUTE
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
FOR THE SOUP
- 1 medium potato peeled and cubed
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots cubed
- 1 cup lentil blend autumn blend, pachraya massoor, or mix of yellow split peas, red lentils, Beluga lentils and brown lentil
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary powder ,or 1 teaspoon dried whole rosemary
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper ,to taste
Turn on the Instant Pot and use the saute function. Add some water, then water saute the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and saute a minute or two more.
- Turn off the saute function and add all the soup ingredients. Put the lid on and make sure the vent is closed. Press the manual button and set to cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is over, allow it to release the pressure naturally. You'll know when you can open the lid because the little silver dot will no longer be up.
- Stir in the after cooking ingredients and serve yourself a big bowl. I like to have a big piece of crusty bread with it.
More Recipes to Try
- Learn the Most Used Instant Pot Buttons
- Instant Pot Refried Mayacoba Beans
- Vegan Instant Pot Bouillon with No Added Salt or Oil
- Online Instant Pot Class – Easy Bean, Grain, and Veggie Soups